Saturday, September 1, 2018

Obsidio, by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufmann

Good evening, Dragonflies! 

I recently finished reading Obsidio, by Jay Kistoff and Amie Kaufmann! As expected, this book really delivered on its promises! I adored Illuminae and Gemina and was happily surprised with Obsidio! 



"Kady, Ezra, Hanna, and Nik narrowly escaped with their lives from the attacks on Heimdall station and now find themselves crammed with 2,000 refugees on the container ship, Mao. With the jump station destroyed and their resources scarce, the only option is to return to Kerenza—but who knows what they'll find seven months after the invasion? 

Meanwhile, Kady's cousin, Asha, survived the initial BeiTech assault and has joined Kerenza's ragtag underground resistance. When Rhys—an old flame from Asha's past—reappears on Kerenza, the two find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict. 

With time running out, a final battle will be waged on land and in space, heroes will fall, and hearts will be broken."




This book really amazed me! As the other books in the Illuminae Files, almost none of it is written in normal prose, and I loved every minute of it! The storytelling through video files, instant messages and more really make for a unique worldbuilding experience that I'm now sad is over! But, it was one hundred percent worth it! 

Obsidio, as Illuminae and Gemina, brought in two new characters. I must admit, I did not care much for them, at least for sure not as much as Kady, Ezra, Hanna and Nik! Although I did not find myself to be particularly attached to them as characters, I did appreciate Asha and Rhys as the roles they played! They were different from our original quartet but still were a fun way to show that young adults are not helpless! (Although sometimes we are slightly hopeless - I swear I'm almost 22 and I don't know what life is all about. Ok back to review)

Now, I must admit, I need to re-read it: I was so immersed in the world and the design of the book, that I completely missed out on some details! 

BUT! 

I adored AIDAN with every bit of my soul. It really evolves in this book, in such a way that it really makes you think about the implications of having a super-smart artificial intelligence agent! AIDAN as a character is wholly fascinating and thought-provoking: I would love a book that focuses on it and its evolution to have gotten to the point where it now is - on the border of consciousness. 

This book seemed to be a lot more centered on the political intrigue between the worlds and space ships. I really enjoyed these parts, but they are also the moments that I had a hard time attaching to well enough to be able to grasp all of the little details. 

This is what I can say without spoiling too much! Of course I could keep rambling, but I need to get going :)  Obsidio was overall fascinating and heartbreaking, just as it was thought-provoking and, at times, scary. 

I'm giving Obsidio a 4.5/5 feathers! Definitely need to have a re-read! 



Have you read Obsidio? What did you think about it? Let me know! 

Stay bookish! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!