Friday, September 7, 2018

Bookish Talks ~16~ YAL-event, Booksheves, and Observations

Good afternoon, dragonflies! 

So I'm writing this between classes because 1; I just need an escape from crowds and 2; I haven't posted in a long time, although there were many promised posts! Oops! 

So instead of making more excuses, lets go right into the talk! 


Oh dear so much has been happening that I'm not even sure what to start with! 

1. Another move and a new shelf
So I recently (almost 2 weeks ago) moved into my dorm room in the beautiful town of Nijmegen in the Netherlands. One of my best friends comes from the city so I had already explored it and knew I would enjoy the place - its a great place to live! It's lively and colorful and surprising in more ways than one. 

Of couse, moving into a semi-permanent place means that I need to bring books with me. And I did. A lot. We also brought a shelf from home that wasn't in use, and needless to say, it's full of books I brought with me! 

A lot of them are some favorites I brought with me because I can't just leave my preciouses behind. Some others are books I've been intending to read, and soon I should be recieving a bookoutlet order that might not fit in very nicely with everything else BUT I'll do my best. 

Worst case scenario I can always get a smaller shelf, right? 

I feel slightly insane but hey that's ok! 


2. New Unis 
On Monday, I started my courses at Radboud University, not really sure what to expect. I'm used to 200-400 people in a faculty, with only a handfull of them actually there at once. This faculty alone has almost 3000 people with several hundered at the same place at once. 

To make things funner, I am the only student in my major who did not do her bachelors here. I'm the only one who knows nobody. 

I'm not going to lie, this doesn't exactly result in the most comfortable situations for me. I can't tell whats up and down, socially, as it's been dificult to even gather the courage to talk to anyone. 

It's the same situation in my dorm - everyone in my house of 120+ people keeps mostly to themselves, yet complains once something isn't the way they want it to be. 

It's been shaking me up a lot, as I'm not sure how to act and react in these situations, but I'm ready to figure it iout. 

On a side note, my courses are epic! I'm so glad I chose this masters!


3. Blogsta changes
It's no surprise ot the world that moving takes a lot out of you. I haven't sat down to read properly since I moved in, just because I keep realizing that there are little things that need to be done, that I need to cook and clean for myslef, homework to be finished, and by the time I'm done with all of that, I just want to sit down and either sleep or watch an episode of Friends. Except for specific cases, reading has not been a priority. 

But I do NOT plan on stopping. But I do know that even though I'll do everything to stay on track, I might not be able to review as often as I want. 

This is why I'm going to be a bit more 'contemporary' on my blog - back-to-school suggestions, lifestyle, blogging and instagram tips, moving tips, written vlogs about a convention I'm going to, etc. 

I hope everyone's ok with that choice! 


4. YALFU
No, its not a new swearword or a name of a character. 

In two weeks there will be the International Literature Festival in Utrecht! And, as true understanders of what this implies in the modern bookish world, they dedicated the 23rd of September to be all about YA, with special guest, Becky Albertalli! I haven't read any of her books yet BUT I found a good deal on one online so I'm ordering it and reading it asap! 

What I'm super excited about is the fact that I'll be seeing a lot of bookish friends there! This includes many instagrammers that I've bonded with over the years, some online shop owners who I just want to hug and say thanks to for choosing me to represent them, and other people! It'll be full of goodies and bookish talks and I'm just super excited for it to happen! 

Plus it's the weekend after my birthday so for me it's kind of a birthday gift to me! That plus all the merch I'll probably end up getting from there, oh dear! I"ll make sure to put a recap here!


That's it for today, but TOMORROW I have a surprise for you all! Stay tuned and, stay bookish! 


2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear the social aspect at uni isn't working out for you :( It can be so difficult going someplace where you don't know anyone and they don't necessarily want to get to know you either. Still, I'm so glad that your classes are going splendidly :) Hopefully your interest in your studies will grow a friendship with someone! I also hope you have loads of fun at YALFU!! I haven't been able to go to a large literary gathering during my blogging career yet but I hope to soon!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura!
      Yeah, it's a little messy, but at least I've gathered the courage to talk to people. It's still a very odd atmosphere since everyone already knows each other!
      Ooh I hope you do soon as well! It was tons of fun!

      Delete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!