Sunday, August 25, 2019

Legendary, by Stephanie Garber

I keep thinking that authors do a good job at shaking you once really well in their first books and that nothing will surprise me again, and I keep being reminding that that is a very wrong way of thinking. 

Hey, all! 

I just finished reading Legendary, by Stephanie Garber! It took me a few months to get to but in the end I finished it in essentially 24 hours! 

"After being swept up in the magical world of Caraval, Donatella Dragna has finally escaped her father and saved her sister, Scarlett, from a disastrous arranged marriage. The girls should be celebrating, but Tella isn’t yet free. She made a desperate bargain with a mysterious criminal, and what Tella owes him no one has ever been able to deliver: Caraval Master Legend’s true name.

The only chance of uncovering Legend’s identity is to win Caraval, so Tella throws herself into the legendary competition once more—and into the path of the murderous heir to the throne, a doomed love story, and a web of secrets…including her sister's. Caraval has always demanded bravery, cunning, and sacrifice, but now the game is asking for more. If Tella can’t fulfill her bargain and deliver Legend’s name, she’ll lose everything she cares about—maybe even her life. But if she wins, Legend and Caraval will be destroyed forever..."


This review will contain SPOILERS! Advance at your own risk! 

This book is every bit as magical as Caraval - everything is described with vivid colours and a certain over-the-top quality that really shows just how incredible Caraval is supposed to be, and I was there for it. Magical realism? Yes please! Both books so far really give off a fairytale vibe that I have loved ever since I was tiny - beautiful descriptions, magic, fancy dresses, princes and princesses, and a whole lot of mystery. These books have it all! 

Right off the bat I knew something was up with Dante - I had a feeling he was either Legend himself or possibly a Fate, and for some reason I don't like him. I don't like his constant being there, or his smugness, or his sudden devotion to Tella. I essentially don't like him in the same way I don't like Chaol from Throne of Glass - I don't have a reason, I just don't. 

Oh did I not mention? This book centres around Tella, rather than Scarlett. I quite liked Tella's point of view! She's fierce and smart and devoted. 

Who else did I like? Oh yes, this absolutely intriguing character named Jacks. The Prince of Hearts. He only had a few major scenes within the book, but they were up there in my favorite scenes. He's like a mix of Finnick Odair and Jack Frost and I love it! If a movie happens, can he be played by Sam Claflin? Please?

I also adored the whole plot surrounding the Fates being trapped within a deck of cards, and Tella's mother's involvement with that. 

The ending of the book was filled with many twists and turns! As I mentioned, I was not surprised when Dante was revealed to be Legend - but Tella's sacrifice, though brief, surprised me. And what surprised me even more was Legend's releasing of the Fates into the world. Tella called him a hero for that, but I believe that something much, much darker is coming up. 

Some small things did bother me: both Scarlett and Tella are in a love triangle? This Caraval was so obviously designed for Tella? The Scarlett bits felt forced? 

I'm definitely looking forward to Finale, which I hope to start today! 

I gave this book 4/5 stars! 


Have you read Legendary? What did you think about it? Let me know! 

Stay Bookish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!