Wednesday, May 1, 2019

The Disasters, by M.K. England

Hey, all!

I recently finished reading The Disasters, by M.K. England. This book was the book of the month of November in The YA Chronicles book box, and it is the book that some bookish friends and I have decided to co-read! Meaning, we are each reading the same copy, sending it to the next person in a list of names once we are done with it. The next reader is Lisa @sjmtrash on instagram, make sure to check out her photos, they are amazing and deserve all the recognition! 

Also yes! I finally changed my blog's aesthetic! Do you like it? I like the softer colors a lot! 

"Hotshot pilot Nax Hall has a history of making poor life choices. So it’s not exactly a surprise when he’s kicked out of the elite Ellis Station Academy in less than twenty-four hours.

But Nax’s one-way trip back to Earth is cut short when a terrorist group attacks the Academy. Nax and three other washouts escape—barely—but they’re also the sole witnesses to the biggest crime in the history of space colonization. And the perfect scapegoats.

On the run and framed for atrocities they didn’t commit, Nax and his fellow failures execute a dangerous heist to spread the truth about what happened at the Academy.

They may not be “Academy material,” and they may not get along, but they’re the only ones left to step up and fight."


First thing's first - I liked this book. Sure, maybe it didn't blow me away, but I didn't dislike it either! It was a really fun standalone, and a fresh, fun sci-fi that I'm pretty sure anyone can get behind. 

Now down to the details. 

Characters are always a big deal to me. What I liked about these characters was that all 5 central people felt real. Sure, some felt shady. But I liked the fact that two had anxiety-like moments getting in the way. I liked the cultural diversity this world sees in its future. I liked the absolute quirkiness and relatability of Nax - his sarcasm was amazing! He and his partners gave an incredibly fresh and realistic twist to a YA space drama, and I was there for it!

But at the same time the characters brought a side plot thing that I didn't like so much. There was a really awkward love triangle this entire time. The constant action of this book kept being cut by Nax, the main character, reacting to advances made by two of his partners. Being bi, he was popular with everyone. This I didn't have a problem with, of course. My problem was the fact that these little romantic spots felt forced, as if they were put in to grab at every possible audience. I think I would have liked the book better without any of it. 

On a brighter side, I am fully behind making this into a movie, or TV show! You have the characters that stand out, amazingly well-described settings, jokes that had me laughing out loud and constant segments of action that were so well that I could even imagine the guns. 

And the final plot solver had me laughing so hard! No spoilers on the Bookish Blog Channel, but it was so creative! 

Overall, this book was super fun, extremely bubbly, very diverse, and very fast-paced! I totally recommend it to everyone who is in the mood for something different! Space operas are where it's at! 

I'm giving this a 4/5 stars! Yes new stars too! 

Have you read The Disasters? What did you think about it? Let me know! 

Stay bookish, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!