Sunday, May 12, 2019

Caraval, by Stephanie Garber

Hey, all! 

I finally did it! I read the super-hyped book known as Caraval, by Stephanie Garber! Everyone has been telling me to read it. It's been on my shelf for years now, looking beautiful but collecting dust as I was never 'in the mood' for it. 

But a few weeks ago some friends and I decided to go to a book signing her win the Netherlands, where Stephanie Garber will be. So of course, I picked up Caraval. I blew the thin layer of dust off, chose a fancy bookmark and settled into my reading chair that isn't technically mine but I ended up falling in love with, made some tea and started reading. 

I read the bulk of this book in 2 days, and absolutely adored it. 

I will do my best to make this review as spoiler-free as possible! 


"Scarlett Dragna has never left the tiny island where she and her sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval—the faraway, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show—are over.

But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt-of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.
Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. Nevertheless she becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic. And whether Caraval is real or not, Scarlett must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over or a dangerous domino effect of consequences will be set off, and her beloved sister will disappear forever."


Caraval follows Scarlett, a girl who has heard stories of the Caraval event ever since she and her sister were children. Every year, she sent letters to Legend, the master of the Caraval, in hopes to be invited. One year her dreams come true, and she is taken to Caraval, along with her sister Tella and Julian. Tella becomes captured to be the objective of the game, forcing Scarlett to play. 

Oh my goodness, this book was vivid! The first thing I want to talk about is the use of color. First off, the Caraval itself is described as brighter and more vibrant than other places. Second, Scarlett seems to be synesthetic - she relates emotions directly to colos, and vice-versa. She hates purple for some reason - funny as it is my favourite color, but I guess that means she relates it to something horrible. 

Throughout the entire book you also had a feeling of magic just through descriptions; raining rose petals, sparkling snow, beautiful descriptions of every place... it was a beautiful read in every sense of the word! 



This book also painted a great image of sisterhood. I have a brother so I don't exactly know what it is to have a sister, but my brother and I are close. It's cool to know that no matter what goes on, I have him I will be able to trust. And it is totally true - if he is in trouble, I will find a way to help. 

In the book, both Scarlett and Tella would do absolutely anything to help each other, and too keep each other safe. In fact, it is the main motive behind most actions in the book altogether. Their relationship felt real, which was so nice! 

Scarlett was one of the most relatable characters I have ever read, in almost every way. Minus the synestesia, of course! Julian, her guide/love interest is - well, I really like him as well! 

The amount of intrigue in this book is ridiculous - not until the very end do you know who to trust, who is right, and what is actually going on. As the tag line says, it is all a game.. This really gave way for anything at all to happen, and gave such an atmosphere and intrigue that made the book impossible to put down! This book was elegant to a fault, and everything I've been looking for in YA recently. 

I'm giving it 5/5 stars! Highly recommend to anyone looking for some magic. 


Have you read Caraval? What did you think? Let me know! 

Stay bookish! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!