Thursday, April 25, 2019

An Introvert in Paris

Hey, all! 

Less conventional post today, I want to talk about exploring. That's right, this person who rarely leaves the comfort of her room and or studies has been going outside, to the big outdoors. 

In August, my family and I moved from a tiny village not even present on most maps of the Netherlands, surrounded by sheep and trees, to Paris. 

Ah, sometimes I'm quite happy I stayed in the Netherlands to study! I love small towns. 

But I do, whenever I have a long break, go back to Paris to visit my family. This had lead to many explorations of the big city - including busy metros and waiting in long lines. But I figured that I should share some of my favourite happenings with you guys! 

Note: all of the photos are mine :) Also this isn't gonna be chronological or anything! Also I've been doing a lot of touristy things and a lot of other things (The food, so much food, oh my goodness) but these are just out-of-the-way things I was able do do lately! 





Moon Expo
If there is anything people should know about me aside from my love of books, it's my love of space. My dad's favourite anecdote is that when I was little, I used to take a blue plastic toy phone and call the moon to say goodnight every day before bed. So when I saw that there was an exposition on the moon today, I didn't hesitate long before asking if we could go! 

Hint 1 about going to Paris. Check for Expositions. This one was about how we see the moon through art and science, had paintings from incredible artists from all over the world, modern art, artefacts and replicas from Galileo and the Apollo missions. I was absolutely fascinated, and would go back in a heartbeat! 



Following Will Traynor
I loved Me Before You. Both the book and the movie bring out so many feels that I just catch myself wanting to re-live the story over and over. While in a certain area of Paris, I realised we must be close to where Will Traynor told Lou he would like to go - a cafe in the Marais, to drink a café au lait, eat croissants and watch the bypassers. Sadly the exact café doesn't exist, but one that is very similarly described - le Voltigeur - was on my radar from another blogpost I had read on What's Hot Blog. I went, ordered a cafe au last (despite their specialty and my favorite type being cappuccinos) and had a croissant. It felt like when I went on Blackfriars Bridge in London to commemorate Jem and Tessa - so, so cool! 


King Tut's Treasure
Everyone knows King Tut - the Egyptian child king who died young, and left behind, well, no legacy, but a beautiful treasure, found 100 years ago by Carter and his team, perfectly intact. Paris has had the honour to host this treasure, until December (so go visit if you can!) I was absolutely blown away by the fact that these items seemed to not see thousands of years go by. Not a chipped stone, seemingly freshly-carved wood, still shiny mirrors, functional bows... And so many items you only see in history books! This was so grand, I loved every moment of it! 




Chocolate Day 

Who says 'chocolate' says 'Caro will show up soon and steal it.' I love chocolate, and I love baking, so for my birthday, I got a baking-with-chocolate course! It was all in pro kitchens and we made the best chocolate chip cookies in the world, along with passion fruit milk chocolate truffles, that were to die for. 10/10 would go again, I wish you could try the food we made! I've been trying to re-create the recipes again, so far in vain but I have high hopes! 





Fish are friends, not food 
One of the coolest things that happened since we moved to Big City was the fact that two friends of mine came to visit for almost a week. During this time we went up the Eiffel Tower (of course), and, being nerds, opened Google Maps once we reached the top. We saw that there was an aquarium right near us, so we decided to go, and spent a solid two hours staring at fish. The Aquarium in the Trocadero is probably the most relaxing place ever. We're all students - I was stressing because of classes and my friends also had life choices to figure out. We stayed infront of a shark tank sitting on the floor for a long while, and spent and even longer while by the Koi tank. I became friends with an emo koi, it was lovely. 


Sean SepticEye 

My brother and I both like Jacksepticeye - if you don't know him, search him up on Youtube, he's such a cool guy! Last summer, we noticed he would be in Paris for his How Did We Get Here tour in October, and we got almost front-row seats. The show was so much fun! Sean really stressed the importance of doing what you want to the best of your ability, which I loved. He was also super involved with the audience! During one of his stories about his time going to Church, he pointed to me as being a table that was relevant to the story. (I waved and he yelled at me because inanimate objects shouldn't move, haha!). The next day, my brother ran into his hero in the city, and he and his crew remembered us! Now I'm just waiting for him to go on tour again, I would love to go again! 


The Bookish Bit
I don't have any photos of this, but there is one place in Paris that every single book nerd should go to - Shakespeare & Co. Oh my goodness that place is the cutest bookstore in the world. Two floors of books, of all kinds, all in English. There are amazing quotes painted everywhere, a house cat, and so many couches, chairs and beds to curl up on and read all day! It can get quite crowded, but on a rainy day, It's the best place ever. I promise, it's worth it! 


That's it for today! I might do more of these little episodes as I explore more around here! 

Stay bookish! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!