Thursday, February 21, 2019

Mini Reviews 2

Hello, Dragonflies! 

Since the last time I've written a series of mini book reviews, I've found myself shuffling around with how I blog and enjoying this new format much more! Between the 'Why the Hype' posts and writing mini reviews after more or less a month of reading, I've been having fun compiling ideas together! I feel like it reflects me and the way I think a lot more accurately! 

Now, I had a reading slump that lasted almost a month! So I can't say that I've read loads since my last set of reviews, but I have finished two books in the last two days so I guess that means I'm cured! 

So without further ado here's a few mini-reviews for you! 

I'll make my own banner soon! Again not my image! 

1. Trials of Apollo book 1 - The Hidden Oracle, by Rick Riordan
Oh dear this was back before the new year! I am a big Rick Riordan fan, Percy Jackson will always be my favourite book series (or at least it will always have a special place in my heart!). It was so nice to see Percy again, and Apollo as a human is both hilarious and incredibly relatable. I liked the plot and am curious to see where it is going. Of course it was really nice to see some old characters interacting with new campers in coordination with Chiron's constant teaching hand. 

I ended up giving this a 4.5/5 feathers! 


2. Shades of Grey, by Jasper Fforde
I picked up this book when a good friend of mine asked me if I had read it yet maybe 32 million times! He let me borrow it, claiming it was his favorite, so I was excited about reading it! 
That's when the reading slump hit... 
However I finally picked it up a few days ago. Most of the book is world-building but the plot really picks up in the last 100 pages to be really incredible! 
Shades of Grey is a dystopian in which humans have evolved to only see one color, with certain percentage of sight. The world is incredibly well thought-out and explained, and the characters themselves are quite interesting. The last bit of the book introduces a plot that will be explored in future books and I must say that I could not put the book down in that section! As said, the whole book was well balanced, well thought and well-given. 

I gave it a 4/5 feathers, knocked one off simply because I had a hard time getting into it at first :) 


3. A Monster Calls, by Patrick Ness
I flat-out read this in less than 24 hours. This book is difficult to describe in a review setting simply because it's just over 200 pages long and the main plot points are somewhat spoilers. In general, this hyped book is about a kid who's mom has cancer. He gets these dream-like things that happens to him in which a monster of sorts visits him and tells him fairytale-like stories. I really, really loved this book and have already recommended it to many people. Patrick Ness has such a unique, beautiful and poignant writing style, that is both smooth and clear as glass. The story itself was both sad and hauntingly beautiful in its style and plot. The characters could have been anyone at all, which is a great quality in books with such serious topics. It makes them relatable. 

I gave it a 4.5/5 feathers - it was very close to a 5! 


That's it for today! But as I said I've been out of my reading slump so I'll have a lot more reviews coming up! 

Stay bookish! 

1 comment:

  1. Yes oh my goodness A Monster Calls is SO good! I also recommend it to a lot of people, especially people who love good books but can't be bothered to read anything really long because of life. I tried to read The Knife of Never Letting Go by Ness a while ago and DNFed it which makes me so sad because I love his writing style in AMC so I'm thinking I'll go back and try to reread it and see if my thoughts have changed.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!