Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Sirens of Falkeld

The sirens of Falkeld, by Julie Tuovi


I received this book as an ARC from the author :) 
This book is such a nice read! It follows an 18-year-old, Kade, during war-time Scotland, on an island where <i> mhara </i>, or mermaids, are very real, and are often the stuff of nightmares.

SO GOOD!!!!!!!
I loved the characters so much! Cora/Bonnie is an awesome mermaid, because she's not like the others, because of Kade, who is a firm believer of the <i> mhara </i> tales, will go to all ends to help his Gaffer (grandpa), and who is a genuinely good friend! 
The admiral is a GREAT villain! His constant quest for power and treasure during such a time really makes him good at being bad! 

One thing that I liked about the story, and please let me know if you thought the same, but it kinda reminded me of the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie! I really appreciated that aspect of it, actually!  :D (saying how would be really spoiler-ish ^-^) 

The rhythm of the writing was also beautiful, and flashbacks, memories and prices of information came in and out like steady waves, with a storm at the end. 

Kade and Cora are so sweet together!!! :3 

The epilogue was both happy and very heart-wrenching! 


Overall, this book was an amazing, magical debut novel, and I can't wait to see what else this author has to offer in the YA universe! (I'm thinking that his dad's story as a side novel could be very interesting!!)

I gave this book a 5/5 stars on Goodreads! :D

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, this sounds like an intriguing book! I have yet to read a book about mermaids, so this might be the one for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, then I'm definitely reading it then :)
    On another note, I've nominated you for the Book Fangirling Award. Details are here: http://erikabooksandstars.blogspot.ca/2015/07/book-fangirling-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!