Tuesday, September 6, 2016

So you want to Bookstagram?

Hey guys! 

So you might know, there are a huge amount of book-related and themed instagram accounts. Having been active on it for almost a year, I’ve noticed that there are way more accounts that I ever imagined! 

Can you guys do me a favor and put your bookstagram addresses in the comments? I want to follow my readers! :D 

Also, I’ll be doing lots of shoutouts in this, with various addresses that I think should be followed! Make sure to check them out! 

I’m no instagram-guru, but it’s become a hobby of mine that I’ve really enjoyed for the past few months! You’ll find me at @justanotherbookishblog :) 


Yep, those are some of my pictures. 

Now what I want to do is give you guys some kind of guideline in case you want to start an Instagram account, but have no idea where to start! I found it quite difficult to start. In fact, if you look at my old photos, they look nothing like my newer ones! 

Of course, none of these tips are official or should be respected by the letter. Your account is yours! Have fun with it!


1. You won’t get all the followers right away.
It’s easy to look at popular accounts such as the amazing @readingoncloud9 and feeling intimidated by the amount of followers. It takes a lot of time for numbers like that to grow! For example, @bbooksareforever has a gorgeous account, and has been around since August 27th. She has a lot less followers but I’m super sure her account will grow quickly! 

2. Be inspired by accounts you like, but make the photos your own. 
One of the best things to do when you start instagram is to stop, wait a minute, (realize that you read this sentence just like they sing it in Uptown Funk), and look through various bookish accounts. Look at different styles, color schemes, and get inspired. The pen thing shown in some of my pictures? I got something like that from someone else, and tweaked it a bit. If you’ve been liking lots of pictures with white backgrounds, then why not use a white background yourself, just change what’s actually on the photo :) 

3. Colors and patterns make everything stand out! 
Black-and-white accounts are always beautiful, but they often get lost, sadly. People always pay attention to colors. One of my favorites, @Book.lover14, always uses the same flowers, for example! :) 

4. Some people stick to certain themes, some don’t. The choice is yours!
Some people really do everything to make sure their pictures stay within a certain theme. I like a mixed approach more - have a main theme (my white background and book spines), and have various other photos as well. Some people just have fun and go with everything and anything! do something that works for you. 

5. Stay regular - don’t become a ghost!
Make sure to like other posts, and stay active to a certain extent. it doesn’t have to be every day, but if you acknowledge other accounts, it’ll make people really happy :) 

6. Give spontaneous surprise shoutouts. 
These take 5 minutes and are super fun! I love giving random shoutouts and making people’s days! <3 You don’t have to keep the shoutout on your account for more than a few hours, and it just really makes people smile :) 

7. Never get discouraged by a ‘low’ number of likes or followers. 
If you are ever disappointed by having ‘low numbers’, just remember something - 875 people took the time to took through your pictures, clicked on the follow button. Never consider your numbers as statistics, each of them are a person. 

8. Participate in tags!
Tags on instagram spread like wildfire! You’ll surely get tagged, and it’s always fun to participate in them. 

9. Communicate! 
Reply to comments, say thank you, answer QOTDs, get to know other instagrammers. 

10. Try different styles until one suits you. 
This isn’t only composition, but also using different filters, lighting, book types, etc... 

11. Other pointers

  • Follow and get in contact with authors. They’re super nice! 
  • There is no shame in taking pictures with a phone
  • Have fun!! 
  • Stay true to yourself! 

I hope you enjoyed this post! Instagram is an amazing community, I don’t regret joining one bit! Hopefully this will have helped a bit, or you agree with the statements! Again, please please please let me know what your adresses are! 

Have an amazing day! 


6 comments:

  1. Helpful post. I’m intimidated by Instagram. I’m terrible at photography, and there are so many talented people on that site.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you shouldn't be! :) Try it out, it takes some practice but ends up being a lot of fun!^-^

      Delete
  2. That's probably my problem! I use a lot of black and white. I'll add some color! Super great post! Thanks for all the great advice!

    Carrie @The Butterfly Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, no worries! :)
      Try it out! :D I'll make sure to look out for your account!

      Delete
  3. I've been deliberating on starting a bookstagram account for a while! I really want to, because I've been known to obsessively take pictures of books, but at the same time, I'm not really good with making them look pretty and don't have a lot of neat knickknacks to make the picture interesting. Sigh. But I absolutely love going through your pictures in my spare time! Yours is definitely my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika you should! :D It takes just a tiny bit of practice to make them look fancy and cool with colors :)

      Aw thanks so much I really appreciate it! ^-^

      Delete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!