Friday, February 17, 2017

Just Some Series I (Probably) Won't Finish

Hey, all! 

It's Friday! And with Friday comes a little bit of free time, so I decided to do a different kind of post: something that's not a review, or a Bookish Talk. I'm thinking of doing a few more 'listicle' posts! 

So, today I'm writing a post about some of the series that I (probably) won't be finishing. Although I must say, I can be convinced with the right conversations and comments! ^-^ 


1. The Maze Runner, by James Dashner
This is one of those series that people either seem to just like or not care about. I read this book before the movies were signed for and I thought it would be a fun dystopian book to read. And sure, the first book is fine. It has a good intrigue and a great set-up as to what might be happening. The idea of the maze is amazing and the whole experimental sense was really cool. I just never felt the want or need to pick up the second book, or even see the second movie. I know I'm not the only one, a lot of people seem to be saying this about this series. 

2. Matched, by Allie Condie
Wow, I read Matched years ago! I mean, maybe 6 years ago. I did find a second-hand copy that I now have on my shelf, but I'm not sure I want to pick it up again. I can't remember particularily enjoying this book. I might read just Matched again someday, but I highly doubt I'll ever get through the whole series. 

3. The Dragon Chronicles, by Chris D'Lacey
Ok, this one may be a lie. When I was in middle school, I LOVED these books - dragons, crafts, polar bears and stars - the perfect nerdy combination in book form! I read books 1-5 and enjoyed every bit of them. Then I opened book 6, ready to dive into the books...
And the characters were not there
And it was on a different planet
And it barely even felt relevant. 
Needless to say, I DNFed it after a few chapters and haven't picked up the series since. Which is so sad because the characters and ideas were just amazing! 

4. Wicked Lovely, by Marissa Marr
I'm one of those girls who loves fairies and fairy books. I've read them forever and have so many that I love. But I was never really interested in finishing the Wicked Lovely series. I read only the first one so far, and who knows, I might pick them up if I'm ever given the whole series, or if someone can really convince me to. But right now, it's just a bit 'meh' on my never-ending TBR list. 

5. The Selection, by Kiera Cass
Oh I'm going to get so many remarks about this. I actually quite liked the first book - it was cute, whimsical and happy. And I'm not saying I'll never read them, they're just not my priority now. And sure I might pick them up again when I need a cutesy read. I know they're a lot of people's 'guilty pleasure' books just because they're so troped and cheesy, and I usually like that on certain levels. IDKKKK I just don't feel like reading them! I may let myself be convinced though ^-^ 

6. Red Queen, by Victoria Aveyard
*Shields myself and my books from gasps*. I know, Red Queen is one of the new bigger series. I really enjoyed book one, but book two... I had a hard time getting through it. Mare became insufferable, and I didn't like any of the characters anymore. The plot became super intense - almost violently so - and when the third book hit the shelves a few days ago I had no interest in picking it up. 

There's a few more books that could have made a list, but I am more tempeted to read them. I might make a different list of books I'd have to be convinced to read! 

What series did you start and lost interest in? Let me know! :D 

Have a great day!
Stay Bookish! 

9 comments:

  1. The Wicked Lovely series, as someone who has read every book, honestly only the first book is worth it. So I don't blame you for not wanting to read that series.

    Red Queen... you made it further than I did! I read book one and found it felt way too much like a lot of other books and gave up.

    The Selection series is cute and is a guilty pleasure for me. If you do ever finish them, don't read the last two, pretend it's a trilogy and enjoy it that way.

    Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Oh good to know for Wicked Lovely! They have, what, 6 books? I never heard much about the series so I never looked deeper into getting it.
      And yeah, that was my initial plan for The Selection - the first three are just about America's story, right? Nice to have that and nothing else =P

      Delete
  2. I don't so much lose interest in series as I just kind of forget about the next book in the series. I'm one of those people that can't stop halfway, you know? I just want to know what happens to everyone! I keep telling myself that I need to make a list of all of the series' I've started so I can finish them off this year but I just never seem to get around to it. I am really impressed with your ability to not finish The Selection series, though! Out of all of the series' you mentioned that I've read, that's the one that I just couldn't put down until I knew what happened to everyone.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah yeah that's happened to me too - you read the first few and forget that the next one's supposed to be published in the next year.
      I might get around to The Selection eventually - everyone seems to be talking about it!

      Delete
  3. I love this post! It's different from your normal posts, and thus matches the fresh look of your blog ;)
    I did not enjoy Matched very much. I read it because it had a really cute cover, but it just wasn't for me. I barely got through the book, and I really don't plan to read the rest of the series. I suppose it's because there's a lack of action and fantasy in it, which is what I'm always drawn to ahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Erika! :D
      I"m glad we can agree on Matched. Sure it was cute but that's all there was to it. Oh well!

      Delete
  4. Caroline! Red Queen!! Okay, I kinda get why. Mare WAS insufferable, I totally agree, but I'm still going to read for Maven! <3 <3 Also if you ever decide to pick up The Selection series when you want a cutsie read, I would 100% avoid the last two books, The Heir and The Crown. They're really not as good. Otherwise, great post!

    Sinead @ Less Reality More Books
    https://lessrealitymorebooks.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I love your new cover photo and background! They;re gorgeous <3

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Sinead! :D
      I deffinetly did like Maven, but I think that Mare's annoying-ness is tipping me to the 'won't continue' side - but who knows! I might pick it up one day!
      I heard a lot about the last two Selection books - about how America's daughter was annoying, and that they weren't worth the read! Might go with the next two though.

      Delete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!