Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne

Hey all! 

I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child!

And you know what, I’m not even going to put the blurb for the book. It’ll spoil too much. Heck, the spoiler section in this review’s gonna be freaking huge. Highlight the blogpost to see the spoilers if you’re interested, or if you’ve read the book. I honestly finished reading maybe 3 minutes ago, so my thoughts are a mess. Sorry if this review doesn’t make much sense! ^-^ 



When’s the last time you read a book that made you put it down whilst reading in pure surprise and astonishment, while you were probably making an absolutely ridiculous facial expression that showed something along the lines of ‘oh-no-no-way-that-actually-happened’ or ‘I SHIP THEM SO MUCH EEK’ or even ‘all the feels, they’re too real, can’t handle’. 

This book did that and so much more for me. Having to stop reading because of reasons was hard... I practically binge-read this just today! I’m not kidding when I say that the feels were incredible, I didn’t think it would be so, so amazing to return to the world of Harry Potter with a fresh story. 

I know that some people have never read the books. Heck, I know people who have never read the books or seen the movies! Imagine being one of those people, knowing Harry Potter just by name and learning about all of the stories for the first time, reading them without having read it before. I wish I could do that sooo badly right now!!! That’s what reading this was like, and maybe even better, because it’s PACKED with original-series references. 

One thing you have to know before reading it (if you are planning on reading it) is that, as the cover says, this is a PLAY. It does not read like a novel at all, with long descriptions about places or emotions. Of course you should read this after reading/watching the original series anyway, but I recommend that you use the movies or your own image of all of the places/people mentioned in the play. Some critics have been really... well... critical about the Cursed Child because they say it is hard to read as a novel. It’s not a novel. It’s a play. It’s like criticizing Shakespeare because he didn’t write in paragraph-form. >.< 

I don’t know what I can say anymore without spoiling anything! If you haven’t read this, you’ll have to scroll allll the way down to see the closing remarks, sorry! 

For anyone who HAS read it, however, highlight the next section to read it! 

Guys... what am I gonna do now? Is there going to be parts 3 and 4? Or is this the (second) end of the Harry Potter franchise...? 

The feels I had while reading this were absolutely crazy. I laughed and cried and gasped and got confused and was all like oh-no-you-didn’t and self-congratulated the authors for coming up with ideas like the ones they came up with. I mean, make an alternate reality where Voldemort is the supreme ruler, where Mudbloods are tortured and, worst of all, Umbridge is headmistriss? One where Cedric becomes a Deatheater and Ron and Hermionie are on every wanted poster, and where Harry Potter was killed? Or another world in which Hermione teaches Defense Against the Dark Arts and is really mean? (I thought that was quite funny actually!) Such great ideas! 

So in this book, you have Albus (Harry and Ginny’s second son, sorted into Slytherin, and generally hated by people), Scorpius (Draco’s son, who everyone thinks is actually Voldemort’s son), and Delphi (the supposed niece of Cedric’s dad). Scorpius is probably my favorite character out of them- he’s such a nerd/geek and is kind of like Ron in the sense that he does things even though he’s afraid. Scorpius and Albus are best friends, and they want to go back in time with a time turner that Harry found to save Cedric Diggory from being killed by Voldemort in the Triwizard (Quadwizard actually? Idk) Tournament. Delphi tags along and helps them. 

I just love how no matter how hard they tried to set things right, they kept messing up. The thing is, every time they messed up, a new scene was created, and I always thought that it was awesome! The authors were so creative about how they combined the old books with the new one! And who doesn’t love a good time travel book? Time travel + Harry Potter universe = freaking fantastic!

I was, honestly, surprised when Delphi turned out to be the villain of the book! when it is revealed that she’s actually Voldemort’s daughter, I was literally like. “Wait but how he died and he’s ugly and... BELLATRIX!” I laughed at myself and shook my head and continued reading. When she really does turn out to be Bellatrix’s and Voldemort’s daughter I couldn’t help but close the book just to laugh. (I even laughed while writing this... Just the idea of it! I mean it makes sense in some weird and twisted way, but it was just so unexpected!)

At the end, when Harry watched his parents die, I cried... Aw man that was so hard to read! 

What I loved is that you get all of the characters back in some way or another! And what’s even better, you can still ship people!!! Like Romione! When he asks her to marry him again I thought it was just so adorable! <3 Snape is alive again (in one of the alternate realities. Sorry people!) and Dumbledore appears in paintings to talk! You get Umbridge (ew go away) and McGonagal, who is just as cool as ever! I even can now sympathize with Draco, who was a really great character in this! And Hermione as Minister of Magic!? Awesome! 

Ok I think I wrote enough of an essay about this (Actually I have to go to dinner ^-^). 
If you even just like Harry Potter, read this. It is so incredibly worth it! 

I’m giving this 5 feathers! No, 10 feathers. ALL THE FEATHERS! 


have you read The Cursed Child? What did you think? Please let me know below so we can talk about it! :D 

Have a great day! 

7 comments:

  1. I finished this book yesterday! I really liked it too!! I devoured it because 1. it was so good and 2. it was a play (no descriptions = fast reading) . Do you think there will be another one after this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I’m glad you liked it too! It’s been getting so many bad reviews, from the public and from the fans alike /:

      I hope there will be another one! :D

      Delete
  2. I JUST BOUGHT THIS BOOK!!! I'm 20 pages in, and I'm immediately going through a how-long-can-I-make-this-book-stretch-because-I-don't-want-it-to-be-the-end phrase...but at the same time, I want to read it so badly...what do I do? *.*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to buy this and read it already!! I'm glad you loved it. I'm glad you said that is is a PLAY because I don't think everyone has realized that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think everyone was expecting something in the exact lines of the harry potter franchise we all know and love. It’s a play, it’s 19 years later, and things change. It doesn’t mean it’s bad! :)

      Delete
  4. I got my copy of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child book today.
    I brought it from Amazon and I got it in just 2 days!
    Here is the link:
    Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!