Monday, June 6, 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury, by Sarah J. Maas

Hey all! 
I just finished A Court of Mist and Fury, by Sarah J. Maas! 

*And I’m still kinda drowning in woah-what-just-happened’s!*

"Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

With more than a million copies sold of her beloved Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas's masterful storytelling brings this second book in her seductive and action-packed series to new heights.


I don’t even know how to start with this!
A lot of people seem to be complaining about it being a bit slow at the beginning - that’s true- there’s a pattern of Tamlin-Rhys-Tamlin-Rhys that goes on for quite a while. 

Until Feyre becomes awesome-er. 

So basically ACOMAF starts off a while after ACOTAR left off - Feyre just defeated Amarantha and is back home with Tamlin at the Spring Court. Tamlin and Feyre are preparing their wedding. She’s suffering from a lot of PTSD - she can’t paint anymore, has constant nightmares that make her loose her lunch, and she’s weak and sick. Sticking to her promise, Rhysand takes her to his court once a month. One day, she refuses to go back to the Spring Court and to Tamlin, feeling like she was trapped with him. 

While this book was slow at times, there were other times where it was so fast that you didn’t even notice the pages turning, and the next thing you know you’re a hundred pages further into the book. 

I LOVE the world Sarah created! There’s several courts - Night, Day, Winter, Spring, Autumn, Summer, and they all fit together, weather at peace or at war. They each have their own particularities and set of powers. Rhysand is the High Fae of the Night Court, has dark wings, can ‘bend’ darkness, and seems violent, demanding and harsh. But let me say, he’s seriously, SERIOUSLY misunderstood. 

Rhysand’s group - Cassian, Mor, Amren and Azriel were also amazing! They were such a sweet little family of friends to read about, and they just worked so well together! They all care so much about each other, and they all really brought something to the book - weather it be a brother/sisterly figure to Feyre, a leverage point, moral support, the brains, the magic... so great! 

NOTE: I’m sorry but from now on there will be spoilers. I’m just having a really hard time writing without spoiling from now on!

CAN WE TALK ABOUT THIS ENDING?!
The ending of this book has left me like what wait no I can’t wait a year! Aw man there’s so much I want to talk about I’m just gonna bullet-point it all or it won’t make any sense. 

Rhys’s backstory, about how he knew about Feyre before they met cause he saw her paint in a dream, and the dream made him smile, and how he held on to that when he was being abused and tortured, and how he just wanted to meet her and just... That whole story brought out all of the feels like a hurricane. I read that backstory like 4 times over and over! His story is both horrible and incredibly sweet and amazing. 

So Feyre and Rhysand are mates for real! I thought people were overreacting in ACOTAR when they said that’s what they thought, but I was so wrong! And they’re so perfect together!! He actually cares about her so, so much and so truly - he lets her be who she is, and doesn’t restrict or trap her. He’s so different from both his dad and Tamlin. He lets her make her own decisions, and Feyre doesn’t really take advantage of that. She wants to help when she can, no matter the conditions or the costs. 

Feyre’s the High Lady of the Night Court now!? She and Rhys snuck out to have their mating bond official, as well as her title of High Lady, which really surprised me! 
The fact that Feyre sacrificed herself for the good of her kingdom was so amazing! 

I can’t believe Tamlin!!! He was working with the king of Hybern the entire time, and when the mortal Queens came out to be working with him too, I was so surprised! But what shocked me most was when they took Feyre’s sisters and turned them into fae! o.o I didn’t expect it at all and it kinda crushed me to be honest... 

Elaine + Lucien = ...? Okie well this should be interesting! I was hoping it would be Cassian and Nesta! For me that seemed a little out of the blue, but it’s ok, I just want to see how that develops. 

Feyre’s now the enemy of the spring court, pretending to be a part of the spring court, spying for the night court, pretending to hate the night court. For her own people and kingdom. I want to read book 3 just for that, to see how our lovely set of characters will deal with that! But there’s a war coming up... I hope they can deal with it in some way or another... 

I used to ship Feyre and Tamlin so much, but right from the beginning of the book, I felt like something was... off. He was so dominant all of the time, which didn’t seem to fit well with Feyre’s character. He was always gone, and he always seemed quite distant yet possessive. Anyone’s who’s read ACOTAR knows that Feyre can’t deal with that. He literally trapped her in his castle for her to ‘stay safe’. Actually, one of the lines that stood out to me in the book was when Feyre said something along the lines of “He (Rhysand) thinks he'll be remembered as the villain in the story. But I forgot to tell him that the villain is usually the person who locks up the maiden and throws away the key. He was the one who let me out.” one line just made me smile, it was so sweet! <3 I’m now a full, no exceptions Feyre and Rhys shipper. How he cares, combined with his backstory and just everything they went through in two months converted me super quickly!

One of my favorite scenes was the night of Starfall - where ‘stars’ (really spirits) fly across the sky on a yearly migration. FEYSAND IS SO CUTE in this scene! <3 I just love how much fun they had after they loosened up a bit, when they both got splashed in the face by glitter-star-paint and went dancing with all of their friends and they all had this cute moment of fun eternity that I just loved! 

Feyre had AWESOME character development - actually, all of the characters did. Maas made them all bloom and flow in different directions that are both logical and a perfect progression. The characters feel realistic, and actually have humane emotions! You feel the feels they feel. 

What I wrote here just scratches the surface of the tornado of thoughts I have about this book. It’s all good, all amazing, all intense and awesome and shocking and... 

freaking cliffhangers! 

I CAN ABSOLUTELY NOT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR FOR BOOK 3!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that there’s a war, and I’ll probably be crushed by emotions that I don’t see coming, both sad and happy and fangirl-y, I might want to throw the book on the ground yet put it on its little shelf on its own in its amazingness, but that just means it’ll be just that amazing! Top ACOMAF, Sarah, I dare you. (Although you probably will!) 




Do I really have to announce my 5 feathers? 



Have you read A Court of Mist and Fury? What did you think? let me know!! 
Have a great day! 

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD THIS BOOK. IT'S OFFICIALLY MY NEWEST FAVOURITE.
    I have no idea where to start. Your review hit literally every point! FEYSAND FOR LIFE
    OKAY THAT ENDING. Can you believe it??? I read it. Read it again. Stared at the back cover. Demanded to know where the rest of the pages were. Realized there were NO MORE PAGES. Stared. Entered a state of denial. CRIED. Because that ending that ending THAT ENDING. It was perfect, so magical, so PAINFUL, so hopeful and devastating and I'm just a mess of emotions right now. Argh!
    All I know is that May 4th, 2017, is going to be a BRUTAL wait....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t want to call it my newest favorite yet because book 3 will probably be even more incredibly epic. I’m waiting waiting waiting!
    THE ENDING WAS FREAKING SPECTACULAR!!
    It’s gonna be such a long wait... ;-;

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!