We’ve all seen listicles on Buzzfeed and other platforms that list book-lover/blogger attributes. Some of them are on point, while others... well...
So I came up with the idea to make my own list of book-lover truths. Now some of these may just be me, but who knows, maybe you’ll recognize yourself in some of these.
2. Choosing a favorite book (ever) is impossible. Same goes for favorite ship, favorite character, favorite story, etc.. just nah.
3. It’s actually not that easy to recommend books to others without mentally visualizing our shelf, scanning every book title and picking one out. This is also the case for completing tags - its so much harder to do when you’re away from home!
4. No, we don’t go to the book store just because we blog about books, make videos, take instagram pictures, or do it for the views though some other media. We genuinely like reading and would keep going to the bookstore just as often if we didn’t have our blogs/youtube accounts.
5. There is a constant mental battle going on when you read a series. Let me explain: you have the first or second book of the series, the most recent release of the year, and want to read it more than any other book on your shelf right now. But, reading it now means you have to wait an entire year for the sequel.
6. Just because we read a lot doesn’t mean we’ll read anything under the sun, or have read all of the big series out there, or all of the big-title classics. We don’t have superpowers (although we all agree that there’s so many books, not enough time!)
7. Pretty books and pretty spines make the probability of buying that book 100 times more likely. So I guess we do judge books by their covers in a way!
8. We know all the cheap book sites and have favorites, even though the rest of the world has no idea they exist (tee hee! ^^)
9. There is a difference between the smell of a new, used, and old book. Each of them are different, there’s no ‘book’ smell!
10. If our rooms are a mess, our bookshelves are absolutely perfect. It’s just a thing that happens, like magic.
11. Feels. Feels. Feels. Whilst movies might not have much of an effect on us, a paragraph can crush us for a week, having us bookmark it, read it 50 times, feel more feels, and keep going back to it time and time again. *Cough Cassandra Clare cough*
12. Leaving the house without a book is weird. It feels like you forgot something important, like keys. Or your phone.
13. Suggesting books to people who don’t like reading is really not all that easy... But we try anyway!
14. No, we don’t all hate using kindles. Of course physical copies are preferred, but we won’t hiss at the sight of a kindle or another e-reader.
15. Big books don’t scare us. But one thing that does scare us - when a book is 30 pages from the end and theres a whole bunch of unresolved questions and tension that can’t possibly be resolved in 30 pages.
16. Bonus: One cool thing I noticed is that when we read, anything that’s not dialogue kind of blends together to form an image, while dialogue stands out exactly in the way its written.
Anything else you want to say about the truth about book lovers? Let me know!
Have a great day!