Saturday, March 2, 2019

Books and De-Cluttering - the Marie Kondo trend

Hey, all! 

I know that I'm super late to post this, that this train has long left the station and I'm just running to catch up with it. 

But you know what, I'm gonna be posting this anyway, because time is relative and I still want to talk about it! 

If you've been exposed to any form of society lately, you would have heard of Marie Kondo - an organisational wizard who is known for suggesting that you get rid of the things that do not spark joy in your life. Around the book community, she has also been known for suggesting that you only keep around 30 books. 

That's right! 30 books, ladies and gents. Naturally, the bookternet freaked out at this proposition, and memes were quickly created. 


Now, I feel like she got unwarranted, automatic dislike for having come up with this proposal. Although I see her point, there is no way I can reduce my books to a simple 30 - that simply combines my Cassandra Clare and Rick Riordan collections, with no room to spare! 

However, she does have a point. I tend to keep books because I might read it someday, or because it has good reviews, or because it looks pretty. 

So, I conducted a thought experiment, and came up with the top 30 books I would keep, in the case that society suddenly deems it mandatory to only keep 30 books for whatever dystopian reason! 

1. The Giver, by Lois Lowry
2. I am the Messenger, by Markus Zusak
3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Percy Jackson and the Olympians, by Rick Riordan
8. Graceling, by Kirstin Cashore
9, 10, 11. The Infernal Devices, by Cassandra Clare
12. Siberia, by Ann Halam
13, 14, 15. Rebel of the Sands, by Alwyn Hamilton 
16, 17, 18. Shades of Magic, by V.E. Schwab
19-25. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
26. The Sun is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon
27. The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint Exupéry
28. Matilda, by Roald Dahl
29. The Tales of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo 
30. Winnie the Pooh, by A.A. Milne 

These are in no order, but all have a place in my heard that would make them difficult for me to part with. Some are signed, others are ARCs, but most just had a big impact in my life as a reader. 

As mentioned, I do think that Marie Kondo has a point with her statements. Thus in the next few weeks, I will be scanning my shelves and getting rid of some of the books I have that I don't plan on reading anymore. I'm sure that there are many people out there who will benefit from them more than me :) 

To be fair, I don't think one should follow Marie Kondo's exact words. Yes, it is good to declutter. But some people can't afford a minimalistic life, or may not have the time, resources and/or the will to get rid of things. And there is nothing wrong with that. I'm a self-proclaimed hoarder - I keep a lot of the stuff I find as I attach a lot of memories to such simple items as bookmarks, hand-written notes, keychains etc. I think everyone should life their life how they want, Marie's way is one way of organising that may work for some :) 

What books would you save during the book apocalypse? 

Stay bookish! 

2 comments:

  1. You've read The Tale of Despereaux??? That's so great! I read it waaaay back in late middle school and I loved it but since then, I haven't been able to find anyone I know that has read it! There are just so many great scenes in that book and it's really due for a reread at some point :) Also, I just finished the Shades of Magic series and OMG SO GOOD. I would definitely save both of these too.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Oh I loved that book! I felt like everyone has read it at some point or another but then, like you, it's rare to find someone who actually has!
      And YES another ADSOM fan! :D

      Delete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!