Saturday, December 29, 2018

Mini Reviews



Hello, Dragonflies, and Happy Holidays! 

I hope you all had an amazing holiday season, and that you took the time to relax this week. It's been a hectic year, hasn't it? 

So I've been absent for a while, and may be for a while again. Uni can be rough at times! 

Image result for mini reviews banner
Not my image!
BUT, I have been reading when I can! So, for consistency, I'm going to be writing a few mini-reviews of books I've recently read. I managed to complete my Goodreads goal of 40 books this year, which I'm really happy about :)


1. A Lady's Guide the Petticoats and Piracy
I had no idea what to expect getting into this book - I didn't read A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and virtue, but had heard that they could be read separately, so I went straight into Lady's Guide. I really enjoyed reading it! The story was fun and beautifully crafted, I loved the combination of pirates and the timeframe it was presented in, the girl power in STEM in parallel to the love of pretty things. It's not incompatible! I enjoyed reading and learning about the characters and their pasts, as well! I got this book in the YA Chronicles box, check the side banner for a discount code you can use for your next box! 

4/5 feathers! 


2. Beyond the Clouds 2 
This is the second book in a manga series that is published in French for some odd reason. My brother got it for me for Christmas, and I must say, I read it in a day! I love the world that Beyond the Clouds has been set in - imagine a mix of steampunk and fantasy, with a hint of mythology. It's everything I love wrapped up into a visual form! The art style is absolutely fantastic, I would so love a poster of it up in my room! I can't say much about the story without giving anything away, but if you read French, I highly recommend this series! 

4.5/5 feathers!


3. The Shock of the Fall 
This was actually one of the first books I reviewed on my blog - I believe I gave it 5 stars. Well, my opinion stayed solid! This book hits you in the feels over and over again. It's so raw and real and everything that I think every young adult should read, if just to see that some situations are difficult to understand unless you are directly involved. I cried and laughed and read it in a day! 

5/5 feathers! 


4. I am the Messenger
If you guys have been following my blog or instagram for a while (@justanotherbookishblog), you'll know that this is one of my favourite books. I recently re-read it, and it still is! Like the movie Amelie, it really gives you the idea that it is easy to care for others - whether it's helping by picking up an ice cream cone for someone who could use it, or to scare someone into being a better person. Care comes in many forms. The ending of this book shook me to my core, as I haven't read it that way before (again, for spoiler avoidance, I won't say what it was!). 

5/5 feathers! 


5. Throne of Glass
I also re-read all of the Throne of Glass series up to Empire of Storms! I have reviews for all of them except for EoS as this was my first time reading it! And holy stars it was incredible! It was a little slow for me at parts, but I truly loved it! The whole fight scene on the boat marked me, and the ending is cruel in every way! I have yet to have started the last book (I think imma skip Tower of Dawn, I don't like Chaol), but I hopefully will soon! 


I think that's all I've read recently! Again I know these reviews are short, but I wanted to write them up and give them an 'official' rating anyway :) I need to get back to studying - It's a little bit difficult to do so, as we have family over from now until the day before my exams, so I need to take every moment I can to study. 

Stay bookish! 

Miss you guys <3



1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, this is such a smart idea! Doing mini reviews in place of full reviews is so much more efficient in terms of time. I'm glad to see that you're still reading in your spare time :) I've only read Throne of Glass (because of Kingdom of Ash) of the list, but it sounds like I'm going to be adding the rest to my TBR pile ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!