Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Exodus, by Julie Bertagna

Exodus, by Julie Bertagna

Hey all! 

I just finished Exodus, by Julie Bertagna! (Actually I finished two days ago, but I got sidetracked while writing!) This is the first book in a trilogy, watch out for the reviews of the next two books sometime in the month of February! 

Now, I read this in 7th or 8th grade already, so this is a re-read! 



Blurb from the back
“The world as we know it no longer exists. Cities have disappeared beneath the seas, technology has been destroyed, and human civilization has become primitive once again. 
Fifteen-year-old Mara had watched her beloved island, Wing, sink further beneath the ocean’s tides as time quickly runs out. The islanders must look for refuge, and only Mara has the vision to lead them all in search of a new beginning in this harsh, unfamiliar world. She once heard of sky cities, safe from the storms and rising water. The closest one, New Mungo, is their only hope for survival. 
But upon reaching the mysterious, high-tech civilization, they are shut out of the city, blocked from their one chance at sanctuary. It’s up to Mara to find a way past the walls to save her people - even if doing so means risking everything.” 



I enjoyed this book quite a bit! What is interesting is that this science fiction book seems like it can really be a concrete possibility for our future. Of course, we cannot know for sure what will happen, but this could be one of the many pathways the earth may eventually take. 

This book happens in three distinct parts - on the island Wing, with the treenesters, and in New Mungo. 

The characters in this book are realistic - Mara is stubborn, brave and curious. She is known by the Treenesters, a group of people, as ‘the face in the stone’ - the one who would save them all. But she denies it all through the book, she never does anything to fit in with being The Face. 

Fox (he’s so sweet! :3 ) is kind and helpful, but also curious and determined. He knows what is right to do. Fara is a real ship in my mind. But so is Rora... 

Rowan is Mara’s best friend, who lives with stories and words. He’s one of the real dreamers. 

The treenesters are all cautious and curious.

It is difficult to rate the ‘fiction’ part of this, because a lot of the book had to do with how the world could be 100 years in the future, under the influence of global warming - huge storms, land loss, people becoming refugees... I really liked that! 

I know this is short, but I have to go back to class!

I’m giving this a 3.75/5 feathers :) Also, I think that this book is not hyped enough! Go find a copy and read it if you can! I’d love to see your review! <3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!