Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - X 101

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Books That Would Be On Your Syllabus If You Taught X 101 (examples: YA fantasy 101, feminist literature 101, magic in YA 101, classic YA lit 101, world-building 101)

My Topic - YA literature 101

Hey all! 
Welcome to a new TTT! This is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, make sure to check out their blog! 

I think it would be so awesome to take a YA Lit class! Like you could go in every which direction with fantasy, sci-fi, and contemporary! So here are the books that I think should be covered in that class! 

1. The Fault in our Stars, by John Green 
I loved this book, and I think that this would be a PERFECT book for a YA lit 101 class! Contemporary book with strong, unique characters, (and lots of that stuff that teachers like such as imagery and metaphors and characterization, etc...). Plus I just consider it as a YA classic :) 

2. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins 
A GREAT introduction to dystopian societies, with a crazy overpowering government, and an amazing story! Looking more into this book with the history/image of Panem en Circenses, as well as a bunch of little things that are just there to be noticed in the book would make it a great book for a class! 

3. Harry Potter, by J. K. Rowling 
Do I even have to explain myself here? Magic, kids dreams, a perfect villain, great characters, a BOOK AND STORY THAT EVERYONE LOVES! The series is so imaginative and it went to such an extent that I think it's probably one of the most popular series ever! Another must-read classic! 

4. Percy Jackson and the Olympians, by Rick Riordan 
Even though this is more of a middle grade series, it can work great as a YA book! I think that in a class, it would be interesting to look into how authors can blend very real mythologies with a contemporary setting. Plus its such a fun read, I mean why not? =p 

5. Stardust, by Neil Gaiman
I chose this book more for the writing and the style, actually (as well as the story!). I just love reading Gaiman's work, it's so creative and it's written so beautifully! I also like the way it's told as a fairy tale, basically starting with 'Once upon a time'! 

6. Magonia, by Maria Dhavana Headley 
This one has to be mentioned, just for its creativity and its use of stylistic devices (see my review here!) It's YA, but it's so different, that it just has to be covered in a YA lit 101 class! 

7. The Giver, by Lois Lowry 
One of my all-time favorite kids/YA books! This is a great introduction to 'utopian' societies, as the story is beautifully simple but really makes you think twice about the whole concept of the 'utopia' as we see it. The Utopia slowly turns into a Dystopia as the book progresses. 

8. The Shock of the Fall, by Nathan Filer
Just for the feels. Nah, but I think I would teach this book because it had an amazing way of portraying what its like to live with a disease, only through writing. It hits hard, but I think that it would be another good contemporary YA to read. 

9. Eragon, by Christopher Paolini 
Of COURSE I need to mention some high fantasy in this! What's the overall YA genre without some high fantasy?! Eragon is easier to read than Lord of the Rings, but has the same vibe, with all of the dragons and other creatures and human(oid)s and the crazy kings and rulers! 

10. Graceling, by Kristen Cashore  
This book would be perfect to show a strong heroine in her element, in a medieval society that is so popular nowadays, with a love interest that does happen, but that doesn't change her. I think it would be a perfect book to have in such a class :) 


Which book would you teach to a YA 101 class? 

6 comments:

  1. I NEARLY went for this topic because YA is my favourite genre. I've read quite a lot of these but I've definitely got a couple of extras to read now!

    Check out my Top Ten Tuesday list!

    Also, please take the time to enter my giveaway!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just really wanted to do this - it was this or high fantasy 101! Have fun with the new books in your tbr pile! :)

      Delete
  2. This was such an interesting post! I'd teach books like THG (for the Dystopian theme), Harry Potter (for the Fantasy theme) and I'll Give You The Sun (for the Contemp-Fiction theme). That's all I can pull out of my head for now... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! All credit for the idea goes to the broke and the bookish :) nice choices though! You should do one of these on your blog! :D

      Delete
  3. Interesting post! I love it! Great choices!!!!

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!